Chicken Fried Rice!
I was craving some fried rice this week but did not feel like spending $50+ on a hibachi dinner for the whole family so instead I went to Publix and bought the ingredients to make my own fried rice.
The rice is supposed to be a day old so Friday night I cooked 3 cups of rice. Clearly I missed the part of the recipe that called for 3 1/2 cups of cooked rice so I have a lot of leftover rice. I should’ve used 2 cups of uncooked rice, maybe even less.
Saturday I gathered my ingredients and got to making my fried rice.
I seasoned the chicken breast with just a dash of garlic salt and cut it into cubes. I cooked the chicken in a separate skillet with a 1 tbs of butter on a low heat.
While the chicken was cooking I fixed the onions and cut the zucchini and squash. I put the sesame oil in the large skillet. I accidentally added 3 1/2 tbs of sesame oil instead of 3 tbs. It was definitely too much, the sesame oil is very pungent. I cooked the onions and garlic first for a minute then I threw in the zucchini, squash, peas, and carrots. I wanted a lot of veggies in my fried rice but that’s just a personal preference. The recipe could definitely be altered to have different vegetables or even no veggies at all if that’s your style.
Once the veggies were tender(I should have put the zucchini and squash first because they didn’t get as tender) I cracked the 3 eggs directly on top of the vegetables and stirred them in. Next time I try this recipe I will most likely cook the eggs in a separate skillet, by pouring them onto the veggies I just got a bunch of really tiny egg pieces instead of nice fluffy scrambled eggs.
After the eggs were cooked I added the rice, chicken, and soy sauce. The rice was refrigerated so I stirred everything until the rice was warm and bam! That was it. I was pleasantly surprised by how quick this recipe really was! The only thing missing was the shrimp yum yum sauce but that stuff is loaded with calories so it’s probably for the best.
Chicken Friend Rice
3 ½ cups of rice, cooked
¾ lb chicken breast
1 large white onion
1 cup peas and carrots
1 small/medium squash
1 small/medium zucchini
2 tbs minced garlic
3 tbs sesame oil
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tbs butter
Garlic salt to taste
- Cook the rice the day before and refrigerate
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes and season with garlic salt
- Heat the butter in a small skillet
- Add the chicken to the small skillet, cook on low heat
- While chicken is cooking dice the onions, squash and zucchini
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet
- Add the onions, squash, and zucchini
- Once mostly tender add the peas and carrots, cook until all vegetables are tender
- Crack the eggs directly on top, stir into the vegetables
- Continue stirring until the eggs are cooked
- Add the rice, chicken, and soy sauce.
- Stir until the rice is hot and then serve!